Sunday, August 8, 2010

Postcards from Rubin

Current song - Postcards from Italy by Beirut

So I am officially in Rubin (with a swanky 5th avenue address) rooming with Laura Brown of California. We are in a divided suite thing with a girl from Korea named Yun Jae Lee. Its been hard to lurk her because most of her facebook is in Korean but hopefully she'll be very cool. We share a bathroom and what looks like a little hallway space in between our rooms. We're officially room 6B on the 7th floor! Its going to be crazy living on the 7th floor after living in a one story house my whole life. Also we're on the edge so we'll hopefully have a really great view.

I bought a lot of dorm stuff - its really pretty. It is purplish and blue with birds and flowers and matches what Laura is buying for her bedding. I also just invested in my first college textbook (Introduction to Philosophy) and an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind poster. I'm hoping the poster will be an inspiration (that sounds uberly cliche) - looking up at something that was brilliantly written about how the brain works and what we value in life - and whether love is always present or can be erased or ended. I can read my giant textbook under my poster and write something half as brilliant as that.

My thoughts are somewhat all over the place so this might be a bit jumpy. I keep alternating from really excited to scared to nervous to curious to worried. Its been nice talking to people I will be seeing in school and hopefully making somewhat of "pre-friends." But what happens if I get to NYU and all the prefriends I've made realize I'm not that cool? Eeeeeeek. :\

I feel really connected to my home right now too which is making it harder to think about leaving. Traveling to Chicago was amazing - bonding even more with people I really, really care about and talking a lot about what's changing in our lives. It's starting to give me closure on 18 years of friendship and life in the same place - but I'm still terrified. I've met such amazing people here that it scares me to think I'll never meet people I care about as much.

And things are amazing with Max. We had a Sopranos marathon last night and ate lots of pasta. It was ridiculously fun being insanely lazy.

I want to leave - I don't want to leave.

1 comment: