Current Song: All Day and All of the Night - The Kinks
Hey - I figured I should make some sort of official first (well, second) post about my plans for next year - even though you all already know! Next year I'm attending Tisch School of the Performing Arts at New York University and majoring in Film and Television Production. It seems sorta crazy that I'm going to a performing arts school (technically, sorta) because I've never really been a performer - just an artist, but I like it. That was one of the biggest reasons I like NYU - because they approached film as an art, not as a commercial business.
Anyway - next year I am taking Freshman Colloquium: Performance Strategies (the class description said it would discuss how to direct actors, etc), Storytelling Strategies (which I am SOOO excited for :D), Sound Image (a technical class about how to produce good sound and stuff - sounds very dull), Writing the Essay: Art and the World (everyone at NYU takes Writing the Essay and everyone at Tisch takes Writing the Essay: Art and the World), and my gen ed class is Central Problems in Philosophy. I wanted to take Metaphysics (the TA was very attractive...) but it filled up before I could sign up. :( So in total I'm taking 18 credit hours - which seems like a lot for the first semester, but I'm sure I will live.
Whenever I think about college I'm either really excited or really sad and nervous. Its so exciting when I talk to people that I'm going to school with next year or when I look at my classes, but I always seem to come back to sad - especially when I hang out with Max. Leaving him scares me the most. I mean, I love my friends, but when I leave you will still be my friends and, hopefully, will be forever. And when I leave my family they're still my family - but when I leave Max he won't be my boyfriend anymore. And he's someone that makes me feel better no matter what stupid situation I'm upset about - and once I go to college its not ever going to be the same.
:(
Damn.
ANYWAY - less sad topic. I'm going to Portland next week for my cousin Matt's wedding. I'm really excited - I loooove seeing my family and I'll be seeing Julie (my cousin who is also going to NYU). Its going to be really weird 'cause I haven't seen her forever - but I'm really glad we'll have some time to hang out before we're thrown into the craziness of college. Hopefully we can reconnect a little so it won't be crazy awkward in August. I'm also gonna check out some vintage stores and hopefully visit Reed!
Well that's all I can think of right now - sorry my thoughts were somewhat jumbled. Talk to you all later. :)
the first part is very sad :( *hugs* if I can ever do anything to help let me know
ReplyDeleteYou should definitely try to visit Reed! Also, I know doughnuts aren't really your thing, but you should check out Voodoo Doughnuts because they have crazy food. (They have a doughnut shaped like a blunt, with embers on the end and everything! xD)
Aw I will let you know. Idk what would help though.
ReplyDeleteI was planning on going there! Apparently there's one near my aunt's house. :)
I know that you want to go to college with a fresh start, a.k.a. no huge ties to your previous years like Max. And I think that's a very good idea. I just wanted to say that if you feel like, in the future, you want to go back on that idea, that's okay too. My aunt and uncle were dating in high school but decided to break up when they went to college to see what else was out there and to get a fresh start. A couple of years later they realized that they were actually still in love and got married. So just follow your heart.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if that makes you feel any better or not, but I just wanted to share.
Also your classes sound awesome! Also I am jealous because I haven't seen anyone's campuses yet (besides my own) and you've seen Maddy F's and soon you'll see Maddy K's! I'm not really that jealous, I just think it's cool.
Yeah, I've thought about that. But what if I want to get back together and he doesn't? Also I don't want to face the beginning of college just wishing I was back together with someone. Or missing someone. OR in a relationship. :(
ReplyDeleteHah, glad you think my classes sound cool. I wish you could see my campus! I will take lots of pictures.
emily!!!! I've always wondered about the whole Max thing, I just never felt like it was something to ask about. I agree with what Molly said. And you know, if he decides he doesn't want to get back together after that, maybe he isn't right for you, you know? I guess I'm not sure what to say about it cause I have no experience in the area but if you ever want to talk or something just say so :)
ReplyDeletePlease do visit this doughnut place because it sounds amazing.
And I'm SO JEALOUS of your classes, they sound wayyyyyyyyyyyy cooler than "Cultural Anthropology" (although...I'm excited for that class...). I think I told you this but I'm not sure...my First Year Seminar class at Drake is "Masculinities in Film". It made me think of you. Because its film related and sounds really awesome haha. I'll be sure to share what I learn.
Ha, what did you wonder about? I guess. But its just really sad and I don't wanna break up...
ReplyDeleteWhat is Cultural Anthropology? Masculinities in Film sounds really fun. :)