Friday, August 2, 2013

Summer summer summer time

-->
Hello everybody! I thought I’d give you a run down of my summer – since it’s actually been pretty eventful (and I’m getting all homesick because you guys are ALL HANGING OUT WITHOUT ME :( ).



As (most of you) guys know I was home for about a month and a half. I spent it working on my film with Spencer and his friend Neil (plus the awesome help of Tacy, Maddy Fusco, Averee’s parents and Molly’s mom). After that Spencer and I went to Mount Vernon, IA to help with a friend from NYU’s senior thesis. We ended up leaving early because of a fiasco with bad weather (meaning a tornado), which was not very fun. Spencer ended up flying home to New Jersey early and I spent my time working for my mom. After that I flew to Portland for my family reunion. We were staying in Tillamook, which is right by the coast. We played a lot of board games, drank a lot of beer and I got to hold a lot of babies (sometimes all at once). It was amazing seeing my family and it was, overall, basically the best week ever. After I got to spend the day with Maddy in Portland – and we bought books and drank coffee, which was excellent.



I flew back to New Jersey on an overnight flight from Portland. I’ve been spending my time hanging out with Spencer’s friends (playing a lot of Cranium and D&D), catching up on Mad Men and reading. I’ve also helped Spencer with a couple film jobs. One was for this insane woman that Spencer’s worked for before named Diana. She had us do a photo shoot for diet and exercise women over fifty. It ended up entailing a lot of nudity on her part (in the middle of 5th Ave in New York) and her weight lifting a python. I also helped Spencer’s friend, Adam, do a shoot for his work. Adam works for Princeton Tech, a headlamp company, doing brand imaging and videos. The shoot we worked on was about a group of cavers in Pennsylvania – so we actually got to go caving with them. It was really crazy – we had to wear headlamps and coveralls (its about 50 degrees in the cave year round) and we entered the cave through, what looks like, basically a manhole cover stuck into the earth. We slide down this little tube and then we were in a very tight cave. We had to climb our way down slippery rocks (that are pretty steep) until we reached a larger part of the cave – which had 30-foot ceilings. We could, then, climb around further into the cave. It was totally bizarre and unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. There were really strange tight spots – one called the Rabbit Hole – where we had to squeeze our bodies through – and there was one room filled with tiny clay sculptors made by previous cavers. We were down there for about eight hours – much longer than the regular caving expedition – and I got pretty caved out by the end. Adam’s girlfriend, Carrie, and I ended up leaving Spencer and Adam behind with the cavers and getting some food while they finished up. It was really fun because I’d never spent time with Carrie by myself. I used to find her really irritating (and kind of Cheyenne Goode-like – that’s kind of mean, sorry), but she’s chilled out a lot recently. It was really fun talking to her and it felt like we were actually pretty good friends. She knows a lot about my life here and it was cool talking to someone who has such a similar life to me (she and Adam are really serious about each other and moved in together last year). I’ve been thinking about asking her to do something else – that’s just her and me – but it might be kind of hard since Spencer is basically my ride everywhere (maybe her, Spencer and me??). Speaking of new friends, I recently became pretty close with a girl from school named Renee. We had a writing class together last semester and we talked a lot in class but hadn’t really hung out besides that until the last night. We ended up getting dinner before hand and then, after, getting drunk with a fellow classmate and going to see Big Wedding at midnight. It was such a blast and we’ve been texting a ton this summer. It’s weird because we haven’t really been hanging out but we talk so much that we feel like really close friends. She also has a pretty serious boyfriend and not a lot of female friends so we’re in sort of similar boats. She’s also really into fashion (she’s pretty wealthy, I’m gathering) and girly movies and all this stuff you don’t get when you hang out with only boys. It’s a bit of a bummer because she’s going to London next semester so I won’t see her but hopefully this continues into something cool.



Anyway, right now I’m on vacation with Spencer’s family in Wisconsin. We’re renting a cabin on a lake where Spencer’s aunt owns a cabin with her husband’s family. It’s been really fun – everyone’s really nice and we got to do a lot of cool stuff. We went to an Indian reservation (which was interesting but pretty sad), went kayaking, shot shotguns and hiked around on the island in the middle of the lake. We’re leaving tomorrow – which I’m more than ready for. I’m very done with traveling. When we get back Spencer and I are going to start looking for an apartment – and we will hopefully find one right away. I’m so excited to be moving in somewhere – to have a place to decorate and keep all of my things in one place (for the first time in a long time). Anyway – I think that’s about it. Let me know what’s up with you guys!

1 comment:

  1. NOOOO I wrote you a really long comment but then it got deleted! So this will be a short version of it.

    I'm glad to be home but I'm sad that we don't get to you have you here! I felt kind of like you do now when you guys were all at my house filming, especially since I was having a shitty summer and I just wanted to be with you guys. But hopefully I'll get to visit you (and at your new apartment, too)!

    I'm also sort of jealous of all the traveling you're getting to do. Caving in particular sounds awesome! I'm reminded of all the cool stuff we did on that Wyoming trip, which still remains one of the best trips I've taken in my life.

    I am glad you're making new friends! I love that feeling of finally hanging out with someone you've had a friend crush on for a long time and finding out it's reciprocated. Then you have the whole future to be excited about to hang out with and get to know them!

    Good luck on finding an apartment. It'll be really cool once you have a place of your own. Hopefully I'll be able to come see it in October!

    ReplyDelete