Hey guys! Thought I'd update you a little on my life. I'm currently makin' mac and cheese to take up to Tisch to eat dinner with Spencer while he's working. We started working on pre production for a webseries so we're going to discuss writing it tonight I think.
Ok I actually paused (DRAMATIC SUSPENSE) writing this so now I am at Tisch waiting for Spencer while he helps someone (he works at the post production center which is the desk where you'd check out editing suites and stuff). I just went to Kmart and spent like 30 dollars on snacks. I feel bad but also....I ain't even mad bro.
I got off work about two hours ago and have just been making dinner and transporting myself around. It always takes forever to get anywhere in New York. Work is amazing. All I do is read and write about what I read. No answering phones, no going on runs. I love the people I work with - they're all really nice and interesting. It's a super easy going office and nobody seems to care if I'm late or need to miss work. I work Mondays and Wednesdays and Wednesdays they have an office meeting for everybody. There's only about five people in our department (with more on the west coast). They just talk about ideas of films - writers and authors they're meeting with, what projects they could purchase, what's worth developing, etc. It's heaven. Today they just talked about whether or not a network show could feasibly be about incest. Though I love working there, it is the first job I've ever had that I actually really care about - which sounds like a good thing. It's actually terrifying. I care so much that I don't know what to do. I just freak out and want to do my best all the time. I'm constantly worried they don't like me or whatever. It's so nerve wracking. Also I asked my boss for some screenplays to read and he gave me one that's being currently produced in Hollywood. It's called "Saving Mr. Banks" and it's about the author of Mary Poppins working with Walt Disney to make the film. It was fantastic (and currently being released next Christmas with Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks).
Anyway, besides work I have some classes. I'm taking a three day schedule (with one class on Thursday) so I'm always tired and always busy. I get a long weekend but that goes by so quickly that I'm usually just tired again. I'm taking a class on Irish Studies that is pretty interesting but the professor is a harsh grader and I have 0 enthusiasm for doing the work. I'm also taking American Cinema 1960 - Present, Developing the Screenplay (with an amazing writing professor) and a Stern (that's our business school) class called Entertainment Media Industry. They're all ok but I'm so busy working on my own things and being interested in my internship that I'm feeling sorta over school.
I babysit to some weekends because I'm extremely poor at the moment (probably because of my Kmart snack binges). The kids are really cute (they're named Tristan and Clio - how cute is that) and the family's apartment is awesome. I get to eat all their fancy delicious snacks and watch movies when the kids go to bed. I love it. Babysitting is really the best job.
I don't really have friends I hang out with at school which is a bummer. I have general people I know but I don't really feel close with. I'm too lazy to try to get to know them well or I just feel uncomfortable. I hang out with Spencer mostly and that's fun but I really miss girl time. I want to talk about feelings and relationships and go shopping :( :( Also Hannah and Kaitlin are abroad this semester and they're just really bad at staying in contact. I don't think it really means anything but it just makes me feel shitty. I know they're flaky but it just makes me feel like I'm a responsibility to them not just someone they like talking to, if that makes sense. It's also just frustrating because they're so into being Hannah and Kaitlin (like their inside jokes, what they think is funny, what they're doing) that it makes it hard to be close with them - and it makes it a lot less fun even when you are.
Besides that, I'm just working on writing some projects which has been amazing. I really really wish I had more free time though. I wish someone would just go ahead and pay me to write. And pay me to watch Friends reruns and eat candy. As for the summer I have no idea what I'm doing. My parents are putting the movie production on hold so that puts my summer up in the air. Part of me wants to be home because this is my (most likely) last chance to ever be in Iowa for a significant amount of time but I know this is impractical. I might intern - but that makes me worried about being able to pay for everything. I'd love to keep working for Random House but it's an academic internship and I don't want to pay for credits. I also just sort of want to take the summer to write but that still brings up the question of where I would stay. I could stay at Spencer's but I'd feel so bad just hanging out when my parents are home being sad I'm not there. I'm also taking next semester part time. I only need 8 credits - which I could take all as night classes - and work full time during the days. This is equally terrifying. I'd love to be able to do that - but the idea of getting hired anywhere is so scary.
Planning for the future sends me into total crisis almost everyday (I was inspired by Molly's blog). What're you guys planning?
Your job sounds wonderful!! I'm glad you're happy there, and even though I bet it's a bit nerve-wracking actually caring about what you're doing, I'm sure it's very worth it. (Also I've totally seen stills from Saving Mr. Banks! So cool that you're reading it!) As for your other job, mannn so jealous. I wish I could be a professional babysitter.
ReplyDeleteI completely understand about the friends thing. Luckily I live with five of mine, but if it weren't for that I don't think I'd really have many close friends here either. Sometimes it just seems like too much work to put in for that first part of a friendship when I already have friendships that I like and don't have to be so stressed out about. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :/ That sucks about Hannah and Kaitlin, though. Speaking as a flaky friend, I am sure they really do care and don't think of you as a responsibility -- but I understand how it can feel like that sometimes. Especially when they're together and in a different country.
I already kind of talked to you about your Summer plans, and I can't help you actually make the decision but I'm sure whatever ends up happening will be great and work out. :) If you stay in NY maybe I'll finally save up the money and ACTUALLY visit you or something??? :D
I'm kinda drunk reading this so I'll comment more later - but love you and I am a bit jealous that you have ean awesome boyfriend but also I knowthat you will have the most amazing life so don't wrroy!
ReplyDeleteIt's so exciting that you are so close to real life! But I totally understand what you mean when you talk about being terrified at work. I feel the SAME WAY about 90% of things right now. For instance, I need to be more assertive about this Africa trip but it is such a big deal to me that I'm afraid to annoy anyone involved and end up making them not like me or whatever. Guh. Post-college is a scary scary world, but it looks like you have options and you are really passionate about certain things, which gives you an extra boost.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the whole friends situation. I think at this point it is hard to have real solid out-of-class friends because everyone is so busy and so all over the place. Not to mention people will be dispersing all over the globe once they graduate. I think that problem will work itself out eventually, but in the mean time, can WE girl talk??!?!
I have mostly guy friends here at Drake, and all they like to do is drink, smoke, and talk about school. I have two girls that I do talk to about boys I guess, but they're really really different from me....They have a new guy each week, they do a lot of cocaine, and they sleep about four hours a week. So the conversation tends to be me listening and them talking. Which isn't bad...to each their own.... but it isn't quite like buying five pounds of chocolate, watching Clueless, and talking about Ryan Gosling's abs. I just watched Maid in Manhattan for the first time and I couldn't share that experience with anyone. It was painful. Get at me?