Hey guys! I thought I should post a blog catching everyone up on my life. I'm getting back in to the swing of things in New York and its so fantastic. I was getting worried over break that it was going to be scary to be back and I would miss everyone at home too much (and I do!) but its been sooo much fun to be back. I'm being productive creatively again and its so great to see all my friends from school.
I got back to school last Thursday. The flight was exhausting. My friends trickled back over the day and we went out to a barbecue place that night, which I thought was hilarious because I come back to NYC after a month where there's every type of cuisine that we don't have in Iowa and where do we go...barbecue. I spent my weekend back in New York eating lots of delicious foods, smoking a lot of weed, and catching up with my friends. On Friday it was snowing a bit so we went to the park and frolicked. After that we got hot chocolate and went to see Blue Valentine which is SO good so it was a really great day.
On Monday classes started. I had my production class which was cool - its called Frame and Sequence and its film through photography stills (like a movie made of just photographs) so we got our cameras and learned the basics. Our prof was gone because she just had a baby, but she'll be back so I don't know what to totally expect from the class yet. Tuesday I had my gen ed which seems really hard but interesting. It was cool though because I randomly sat behind a friend of mine in the lecture and its not even a film class. I had some more classes which were all mildly interesting but nothing too exciting. We have a lot more classes this semester with our entire semester (the total 200 some of us are divided in to 2 semesters) of film kids so I get to see my friends a lot more.
I spent some time with Ethan once I got back and we made out once when we were really really drunk and one time when we were sober. I really wasn't feeling it at all though - the spark just wasn't there for me and really all he talks about is smoking weed or drinking. I don't know what he wants from the situation so I've just been spending less time with him so I think its going to be cool. Hopefully we can just go back to being bros.
(Sorry this is in no logical fashion) Wednesday I had plenary (which is a big lecture by a different professor) for my Writing the Essay class. I was expecting it to be boring but it was actually awesome. The professor gave a lecture on Andy Warhol and his importance in art and it was so amazing. I love Warhol and it was awesome to have him basically explained to me. My later class was Language of Film which I really love. Its taught by a lady who used to work with the Coen Bros which is awesome but now she's back at NYU. We just watch movies and discuss why they're great. After LofF we walked back to our dorm but it was snowing really hard....
and the next morning we wake up to discover....
ITS A SNOW DAY!
It was so exciting because who expects a snow day in college?? Laura and I walked down to the Apple Store in Soho because they do a lot of free shows and you just have to go get wristbands the week before (and we're going to see Iron and Wine tomorrow!). There were no cars on the streets and the snow was everywhere. It was nice and sunny out so it was like walking in a winter wonderland. We got our wristbands and walked back to our dorm. After that we went to lunch and our friend Ryan decides that we're all going to go sledding and because we don't have sleds my friends steal a bunch of trays from the dining hall.
There's this really cute guy in film that I don't really know but I knew he had the teacher for frame and sequence that I had last semester so I imed him and asked him what she was like. We ended up talking for a really long time and he ended up coming sledding with us. So before we headed out to sled I bought some cheap snow boots (they're fantastic with leopard print) with him and Hannah. All the friends met up with our tray sleds in hand and trekked out to Central Park. Central Park was sooo beautiful in the winter and everyone was out frolicking about. We walked through a large part of the park and got to a giant hill for sledding. It was so incredibly fun. The trays worked as really great sleds and we were going really fast. It was scary as hell though because it was so crowded and people were walking around on the slopes so we kept crashing or almost crashing in to people. We tried to find another less crowded hill so we moved. We were making giant trains of everyone holding each others legs and sledding. Seriously, sooo much fun. We ended up making a giant train though and it started spinning around and there was a boulder in the middle of the slope covered in snow and I hit my ankle, twisting it the wrong way, and my friend landed on it. Its super swollen though but the battle wounds were worth it.
After the sledding we built a snow man and snow angels until we were freezing. We decided to head back to the Village and get some hot chocolate. We got delicious (but sadly expensive) hot chocolate and talked and it was so nice. It was so beautiful in the sunny day to be out in the snow. It was nice to be back in nature while still within the city and it was just a blast to play around like little kids. It was honestly, one of the best days of my life. It was also nice to get to know a new boy who is really funny and interesting. I had so much fun with him all day. Also apparently Ryan told his friends about my little...crush so now they're all on a mission to set it up. Heh. After that we went back to the dorm, ate dinner, and now I'm sitting, icing my very swollen ankle, and typing this out to you.
So that was my fantastic day! Keep me updated on your lives! I miss you guys and I love you!
Oh my goodness, I am so jealous about all of this. You should keep my updated if you learn about any artists. I'm taking an art history class and I can't wait to learn about Warhol.
ReplyDeleteNow I want to go sledding a lot.
Aw thanks :D Go sledding!
ReplyDelete