Current song: At the Hop by Devendra Banhart. Everyone should listen to this song - its so beautiful and about leaving home or someone leaving you. Its so sad but wonderful.
Hey! So I think everyone should try to update their blogs more...I know we can just call or something but I really love reading everybody's blogs and keeping up with everyone's lives.
So I don't know where to start this blog...it seems like a ton of things have happened but at the same time nothing's happened. Classes started last Tuesday. I had Central Problems in Philosophy first - its a giant lecture but I love it. I've never taken a class before that asks you think about the existence of God and actually think about life. The reading is really complicated but I love listening to our professor explain all the different theories. Right now we're talking about the various arguments for God and I think if I ever have an obscene amount of money I'll come back to school and major in philosophy.
Next I had Writing the Essay: Art and the World. My professor looks like Hugh Dancy and is hilarious. Its a lot like AP Lit - but very vague and artsy. We mostly talk about our feelings and watch youtube videos. I love it. After that I had Storytelling Strategies Recitation. Its an interesting class - we write screenplays and stuff and go over them in a group but I can't stand my professor. He's a very Hollywood type - really into talking about his life and formulaic stories. The next day I had Sound Image - which is from 9:30 to 3:15. :( Its sort of fun though - I like my professor a lot, but learning technical sound can be very dull... Wednesday night I have Storytelling Strategies Lecture which I loooooove. We watched movies and discuss the elements of the screenplay that make it so brilliant. Thursday I have Philosophy and Writing the Essay again and Performance Strategies Lecture. Performance Strategies is the directing class - but right now we're just learning about acting - like how modern film acting came to be (two words: Marlon Brando). I have the recitation on Monday and in it we just play theater games. Its pretty fun but embarrassing because everyone else in it is so theatrical and I'm just awkward and can't act. Finally on Friday all I have is the Philosophy recitation. So that's an overview of my week!
Right now to paint a picture of my life: Today I went to get coffee at a delicious coffee place called Oren's that has cheap shortbread and went to my Philosophy class and sat by Hannah and Yoni. Yoni spoke hebrew to Oren which made it hard to join in on their conversation. After I went to lunch with people from philosophy at Kimmel (which is our sort of student commons place) and went to Writing the Essay and stared at my beautiful professor for an hour and ran to catch Performance Strategies.
ANYWAY he had to go home before his next class so I started walking by myself and than I get hit in the head with a huge piece of hail and than it started pouring down rain. I had wanted to go to a prescreening of a movie at Cantor (our film center) but I didn't have anyone to go with so I ran up to this girl from my class and asked her to go with me so she and her friend and I crowded under one umbrella and ran. We ended up completely soaked - it was like standing in the shower with your clothes on. We went to Jack Goes Boating - which was directed and stars Philip Seymour Hoffman. It was alright - but I loved that we got to see it early and for free. After that I met up with my friend Hannah (who I looooveeee) and we goofed around in the dorm with Aaron. After awhile we got really hungry and went to buy very expensive groceries. Everything is so expensive in New York. And now I'm sitting on my bed while Laura and I both type away at our computers.
I've been thinking about how good my day was today - and how good all of my days have been. In high school I used to wake up pissed off - I hated going to school and I hated the idea of wasting my time - but now I wake up ready for the day. I like my classes and I'm learning things for the sake of learning them - not just for a grade or to pass - because they are things I actually want to know. I have people here - and by no means all the people - that I really like. Today at lunch we talked about Hurt Locker and Kathryn Bigelow and the Coen Brothers. I miss you guys and I love you so much but I really love it here. I randomly just stop on the street and look around and think about how amazing it is that I live in New York City. Everything is bustling and busy. Anything you want you can get. Its gross and its awful - but its poetic and beautiful. Its the city where everything happens - and has happened. Its the city where Kerouac and Dylan and Holden Caulfield lived. I know I've been homesick but right now I never want to leave.
YAAAY! I'm glad you are liking it there :)
ReplyDelete